The mission of the Comox Valley Dragon Boat Society is to encourage breast cancer survivors and women with any other cancer diagnosis to live full and active lives by participating in the team sport of dragon boat racing.
(Footnote: Our Mission Statement was amended to include the phrase “and women with any other cancer diagnosis” when the general membership agreed to invite women of any other cancers to join Hope Afloat Canada in 2011/12. This does not change our society status so long as we fulfill the society goals in our constitution below. The phrases in brackets below have been added to reflect the change in our Mission Statement only- these are not official amendments.)
- The Society will demonstrate, through the sport of dragon boating, that physical exercise and team participation promotes physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing.
- The Society will provide support and encouragement to all breast cancer survivors. (and women with any other cancer diagnosis)
- The Society commits to providing inspiration and encouragement to other community dragon boat teams.
- The Society commits to annual fundraising to assist in the purchase of equipment related to the detection and treatment of cancer.
- The Society commits to providing a bursary of no less than $250 annually to a Comox Valley student whose post secondary studies will be in the health sciences field.
- The Society will provide public presentations, thus increasing awareness and knowledge of breast cancer. (and/or any other cancer)
(Footnote: In May 2002, the Comox Valley Dragon Boat Society incorporated under the Society Act, with a constitution and bylaws. A printed copy of our full constitution and bylaws is available on request. The Society Goals were amended in July, 2003 and again in March, 2005. Certificate of Incorporation #S44672)