Get fit while having fun – be a part of the fastest growing water sport in the world.
To Join the Team
Female Cancer Survivors – Would You Like to Try Dragon Boating? In order to join Hope Afloat Canada, you must be a woman who has had a diagnosis of breast or any other form of cancer. You are welcome to try dragon boating up to three times before deciding to join. Our annual membership fees are $150.00 per year.
If you or someone you know is ready to enjoy the challenge of getting fit from paddling and embrace the camaraderie of others who have experienced cancer, Hope Afloat Canada would love to hear from you. No experience necessary. Please contact us for more information.
Our annual membership fees are $150.00 per year. Membership includes:
- Wooden paddle, PFD, team shirt and team jacket (all on loan for duration of membership)
- Coaching on paddling technique to prepare for racing at festivals
- Gym pass for the Comox Rec Center (expires October 2017)
- Annual mandatory water safety in the pool
- Festival fees – There may be some costs involved to attend festivals but the team fundraising helps to subsidize these events
- From early in March to the end of April, we practice Saturday mornings 8:00-9:00 on the water, weather and numbers permitting.
- After Saturday practices we like to go for breakfast at Quality Foods.
- In April we add Tuesday evening practices, on the water at 6 pm.
- From early May til the end of September we practice Tuesday and Thursday evenings only, on the water at 6:00 pm
We meet at the Comox Marina parking lot near the gazebo and washrooms. The practice involves a warm-up on land, followed by a one hour practice in the boat, and a stretch after on land.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information on being a member.
Ready to join?
Congratulations, you’re about to embark on a life-changing journey. Contact us today for more information.
About the Organization
The Comox Valley Dragon Boat Society (CVDBS) is a non-profit registered charity. We have an executive and committee run structure, which depends on membership participation to be able to perform its duties. Committees include: Membership, Social, Safety/Fitness, Equipment/Merchandise, Fundraising, Bursary and Publicity.
We have regular meetings throughout the year to discuss and plan for upcoming events and festivals. We also have several fun social events throughout the year for team members (and at times, extended family) to enjoy.
Our members strive to: Practice with the team at least 50% of practice days to improve their skills, increase their level of fitness as able, paddle in 50% of festivals the team enters (as decided by the team), participate whenever possible in team meetings, committees, socials and gatherings and be the best they can be.